Plexus Ambassador

I've just begun my journey as a Plexus Ambassador. By now, I'm sure you've heard of Plexus. Want to learn about what it can do for you? I'm here to help!

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Garbage in? Garbage OUT.

Garbage is out, people. These days, there are so many recyclable products and packages… why would you throw them away? And the reusable products? Wow. Now, I’m all for using disposable diapers, because PLEASE. But Swiffer Sweeper? Don’t get me started.

So, in addition to using a Rubbermaid Dust'N Mop, here’s what I’ve been doing to minimize my family’s garbage output.

This spring, our city newsletter included a long list of acceptable items to include in our weekly recycling. I was floored! I had previously operated under the assumption that only plain paper, glass, and plastics labeled with a 1 or 2 would be recycled. Not so in the North Richland Hills community! I was thrilled (because I’m a huge nerd) to read about all the things that I could recycle that I had previously just thrown away. Junk mail. Phone books. Those glossy strips of coupons that are rubber-banded to our door every other weekend. And the best: Plastic types 1 through 7.

Around the same time, I started a backyard compost can. A friend warned me that compost bins stink but I have found that, if you are careful about what you put in, there isn’t a smell at all! I’m a fan of fresh flowers which I always buy at Kroger from the half-price clearance floral section. Sure, sometimes the selection is really sad, but it also raises the bar with my creativity. This week I have a vase of red peppers! How different is that?! But these peppers are looking pretty spent. Instead of throwing them in the trash, I’ll toss them in the compost. Along with all of our banana peels and the dead leaves from the houseplants that I’ve neglected.

I love the idea of producing less waste. And because we are putting less into our trash can, we are putting less out on the curb. I just feel good knowing that I am doing something to lessen my family’s contribution to local landfills. Our garbage is collected twice a week, but we only put trash out on one day. So the trash collectors only have to stop outside our house once a week. What if everyone could do this? How much would that help the environment?

As I type this, I am thinking of a really dear friend who lives out in the boonies and doesn’t have a recycling service. It pains me that you have to throw all your stuff in the trash. That would make me crazy! But I understand that, when you don’t have curbside recycling service, there isn’t much choice. I’m a realist. If I didn’t have a nice big truck to come to my curb and take away my cardboard and glass, I would throw it away too. Hopefully you’ll have the luxury (did I just say luxury?) of having recycling service someday! And if you are person who has recycling service, I’d like to encourage you to maximize this benefit. Find out exactly what items your service will accept, and do your best to recycle everything that you can. Rinse your containers and discard the non-recyclable lids.

I feel like a giant dork, on a crusade to save the planet. But seriously, I guess I kind of am!

4 comments:

  1. i TOTALLY agree! We completely fill the recycle bin each week and only put 3 bags of trash in the trash can. 1 bag of diapers, 1 bag of cat waste and 1 bag of household trash. In fact, we downsized our curbside trash can, which means we pay less each month to the city! I too was totally amazed at how many things they accept in the curbside recycling. And if it's not on the list, go to www.earth911.com to find somewhere near you to take it to.

    Also, most grocery stores and target give you a $.05 per bag discount for bringing reusable bags to their store. hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE...recycling is so addictive. Who would have thought that? But it's true. We're a family of six with a baby still in diapers, and we have 8 recycle bins stuffed every week, and one big, enormous, practically empty trash can with about 3 small target bags of trash in it. Once a week. THAT INCLUDES DIAPERS!!! Once Will is potty trained, I'd imagine we'll only produce one or maybe two bags of trash a week. I'm even contemplating going to cloth diapers. If I did that, and got a compost bin going, who knows how small ours would be. You've inspired me. Can you email me with how to do that compost thing? Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen - MOST groceries give a discounts for using your own bags? Which groceries?

    Sabrina - There's a link to the compost site in my post. It's SO easy. Let me know when you get started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am inspired to start to do something...even if it means that I need to take our recyling somewhere. (for those of us who do not have the luxury...) I am going to start a compost bin-and get a garden going in the spring. Thanks for sharing your nerdy knowledge- love it!

    ReplyDelete