Plexus Ambassador

I've just begun my journey as a Plexus Ambassador. By now, I'm sure you've heard of Plexus. Want to learn about what it can do for you? I'm here to help!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Loaves, Fish, Paint, and Paper

I just read this post from Andy, about our sorry attempts to put God in a box. And that got me thinking… Do I do that? Do I try to put God in a box? And I decided that No, I Don’t. I have a different problem. I see God AS the Box, and I put limits on what He would allow inside. Health, Relationships, Education = IN. Bugs, Laundry, Fantasy Football = OUT.

For example:

The last couple of weeks of my life have been wild with activity. Among other things, I’ve been working with a team of fellow parents to build a homecoming parade float. A fantastic parade float, bearing the name of our children’s elementary school. It was pretty awesome. And if I do say so, it was the best float in the parade.

Anyway.

On one of our workdays, when we were trying to figure out if we had what we needed to do all that we wanted to do, my friend Christy just stopped and prayed. “Please, Lord, let us have enough. Multiply our supplies like the loaves and the fishes.” And I just kind of smirked and shook my head. I had been praying for other aspects of this project, but supplies? That’s sweet, Christy, but I’m not sure God really cares about whether or not we have enough paper, paint, and salvaged scraps of wood.

But He Does.

We did the math. There shouldn’t have been enough paper to cover everything we wanted to cover. And I know how much paint was in that bucket. It wasn’t enough. But when our team put it all together, it worked out. There were mere inches of paper left over, and just a smidge of paint left in the can. There was enough, and just a tiny bit more. When the ladies told me that they were done painting, I turned to Christy and with great surprise (and yet, none at all) I said, “You were right. He cares about our little parade float. Here are your loaves and fishes.”

God cares about the silly little things in my life. Maybe because He cares about me. Or maybe He really likes a good parade float. Either way, God blessed me through this experience.

For me this was a revelation but, as I write this, I can't help but think that it all sounds kind of stupid. I’m sure it doesn’t mean much to anyone who wasn’t involved, and maybe not even them.

Then again, who am I to decide what others do or don’t care about?

And just in case you want to see it, here's the float:



See? I told you it was awesome.

5 comments:

  1. It IS awesome and so are you! Thanks for sharing such a great story -- great reminder!
    Jill Hoenig

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you. Not because you designed this float, which is true. Not because you worked your tail off, which is true. But because you are willing to learn in any situation the lessons God wants you to learn. I am so proud to have you as my wife. And I'm proud to say that I look up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised...God has done that stuff for us before too, and it just knocked our socks off. You can't explain it. He is awesome! And so is your float! and so is your DINING ROOM! Meeeee-ow! I smell a dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you wrote this post awhile ago, but I just happened on your blog and found myself relating to what you had to say here. I had a rather frustrating sewing experience at my mother-in-law's on Wednesday, and found myself wondering if I should pray that her sewing machine would work better. I offered up a little halfhearted prayer, feeling a bit dumb, but within minutes it was working beautifully. Thank God that he loves us and provides for us despite our doubtful natures!

    ReplyDelete