Plexus Ambassador

I've just begun my journey as a Plexus Ambassador. By now, I'm sure you've heard of Plexus. Want to learn about what it can do for you? I'm here to help!

Saturday, May 30, 2009

I'm on Vacation

This time of year, people frequently ask the question, “Are you planning a vacation this summer?” Well, we aren’t planning to travel, but I’m on vacation already.

Vacation is defined as a respite or a time of respite from something. An intermission.

School is out. All of my volunteer responsibilities at my local Elementary are suspended for the next eighty-five days. My boys have completed their respective grade levels, and are intellectually more than ready for next year’s beginning. We’re officially on vacation.

I like that definition. I am hoping for this summer vacation to be all of those things. Respite. Rest. Relief. I loved my time spent working in and for the school, don’t get me wrong. And both of my boys are perfectly capable of succeeding educationally. They are geniuses, if you ask me. But the daily grind and the teachers’ mad dash, the race to the finish, had gotten to us all. I think we were all thankful that yesterday, the last day of the school year, finally passed. Now summer is here!

The children know that I have plans for them. They know that they’ll practice math and do lots of reading. They know that some of my plans include house cleaning and weed pulling and poop scooping. But they’re still excited. They’re excited because they also know that my plans are heavily laden with library lurking and movie watching and water splashing.

Maybe I don’t want this summer to be just an intermission. I don’t want to go back to an overly demanding lifestyle the next time school starts. Intermission implies a return to the programming already in progress. No, that’s not what I’m looking for.

I have decided that, starting this summer - right now – our family is going to make some changes. The boys will hear “yes” more than “no.” They are going to work harder than usual, and will in turn have opportunities to play harder than usual. They are set up for success, with our expectations literally in writing on the wall. Any moment can be a teachable one… the lesson doesn’t have to be inspired by strife.

Our family is going to do more lounging, share more laughs, and as a result, enjoy more love. And who wouldn’t want a little more love?

Happy Summer, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment